There used to be two rules about colour at a wedding – don’t wear white (obvs!) and don’t wear black. But ‘they’ never said anything about monochrome, now did they? Unless you haven’t been in a shop since September, it won’t have escaped your notice that monochrome – that classic pairing of black and white – is the look of the season (well two seasons actually). So if you’re on the hunt for something fabulous for an upcoming celebration, it’s safe to say you’ll be bagging yourselves a black and white wedding guest outfit of some kind. Here’s where we come in! We’ve done the rounds of all our favourite siopas and found a bevy of monochrome beauties of all shapes, sizes, and prices for your delectation…
And whether the wedding is black tie formal, city chic or summer fete style, there’s a monochrome outfit option out there for every occasion – we’ve seen short, long, strapless, sleeveless and pixie shifts.
- Drop waist checker dress by Tibi from Shopbop €355.22
- Monochrome peter pan collar dress from Ted Baker ?129/ €149.06
- Monochrome sheer top and textured skirt gown from Mango €159.99
- Scattered dot shift dress from J. Crew €170.91
Everywhere you look, in every single boutique, monochrome really has taken over the rails, so no matter whether you’re a classic lady or more of a statement girl, there’s a look to suit your tastes – colour blocking, prints, stripes, lace and polka dots all feature.
- Monochrome zigzag crochet-knit gown by Missoni from Net-A-Porter €1,560
- Sleeveless peplum combi dress from Mango €69.99
- Colour-blocked crepe pencil dress by Osman Yousefzada at Browns ?740
- Karita puff sleeve dress from Reiss €205
Plain black and white can feel a little austere to those of us who love a bit of sunshine in their wardrobes, so brighten up the monochrome with some loud accessories – neon is everywhere, and goes amazingly well with monochrome, but equally a pair of red shoes or a statement necklace will take the edge off.
- Monochrome shift dress from Zara €39.95
- Floral print monochrome dress Karen Millen €199.00
- Monochrome stripe dress with Back detail from Warehouse €78.00
- Colourblocked pencil dress with mini peplum by Karen Millen €240.00
The one thing to keep in mind when choosing a monochrome look is the old rule about wearing white at a wedding – be careful not to stray inadvertently into danger territory, especially with colour blocking – don’t emphasise the white. Break it up with colour or add more black in the form of accessories.
- Black lace embroidery dress from Karen Millen €215.00
- Sumie sequin chevron fitted dress by Alice and Oliva $550.00/€423.17
- Printed silk-crepe dress by Giulietta from Net-A-Porter €1,137
- Two tone lace edge gown by Mango €99.99